Sunday, January 17, 2010

Embracing the Oxymoron Within

I am a Christian.
I am a Christian who reads Mother Earth News and books entitled Serve God, Save the Planet.
I am a Christian who listens to NPR.
I am a Christian who watches documentaries such as Food, Inc.
I am a Christian who is a big fan of Michael Pollan's work.
I am a Christian who is on the brink of becoming a vegetarian. (But that brink is pretty big right now so it may be a while if at all.)
I am a Christian who enjoys sixties folk music.
My husband calls me a hippie.
I'm not, but given the right decade and circumstances, I might have been.
In my circle, all of this makes me somewhat of a walking contradiction so I keep my opinions to myself except when I put them hear for anyone to read. (That one being my dad. Hi, Dad!)
And, I am okay with this for the most part. What I am not so much okay with is those who would paint people like me with the same brush as they would liberal environmental extremists.
I have not bought into the myth of global warming.
I am still conservative politically.
I firmly believe God is sovereign, but I do not believe that means we should be indifferent to how we treat God's creation.

More to come as my thoughts gel. Currently they are a swirling dervish of activity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was with you up until Vegetarian. I love me some bacon.