Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I'll Never Be a Guest on Oprah

My creative juices are flowing. My family is doing a craft show this Saturday. We have been busily making earrings, bracelets, necklaces, and magnets among other things. We've never had our own booth at a craft show before. My daughters are super excited. They love to make things and to make money. I figure even if we just break even, this will be a good learning experience for them. I am, however, hoping we make a bit of a profit.

I think it would be fun to be able to craft for a living, but just about anything one can find at a craft show can be found at a big box store much cheaper. Nevertheless there are still some people out there who appreciate handmade items and are realistic about what they will have to pay for those items. Many people, unfortunately, are not so realistic. My husband has made several lovely little wooden boxes out of some reclaimed heart pine flooring. But to price them so they will sell will not compensate him for his time. He said he'd be glad to make minimum wage off of them.

I suppose it's rare for hobbyist to get to a point that they can turn their crafting into a full-time job that pays the bills. It can be done, I suppose. I read enough artsy craftsy magazines to know that there are a few success stories out there. I'd love to be one of those success stories one day. My goal at one time was to be featured in Mary Englebreit's Home Companion magazine, but it is no longer being published. Such a tragedy. I loved that magazine. I still have old issues I peruse just for inspirations sake. My other goal after I achieved success was to be a guest on Oprah, but she had to go and retire before I could get there.

Well, if nothing else, perhaps I've sparked a creative interest in my two daughters who will one day achieve what I did not. Even if our creative endeavors don't lead to fame and fortune, they are not a waste of time. I think everyone needs some type of creative outlet.

At any rate, I'm curious to see how we'll do Saturday. Even if sales are slow, my kids are learning a lot, and at the very least we'll be way ahead on Christmas gifts.

No comments: