Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Stepping Off the Edge of Perfect and Polished Into the Chasm of Random Uncertainty

I actually have some time to blog. Well, I could be grading papers but why when the room is quiet and the computer is beckoning? So now that I have time, I have no topic in mind. No topic that is polished and ready to type. So I decided to write the random stuff that pops into my head. I'm a little frightened already.

I have been reading, rereading mostly, Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh who was married to Charles Lindbergh. I've had the book a while. I am not sure where or when or why I bought the book. I do remember reading, perusing rather, a biography of Charles Lindbergh several years ago. Perhaps that prompted the interest in her book. At any rate, it is a lovely little book. I'm not sure what the original cover looked like (It was first published sometime in the fifties, I believe), but my paperback copy is a lovely light shade of turquoise with an embossed shell on the front. Like this. So, as I was reading through this I found myself thinking that this author apparently knew exactly how I would feel way before I was even born. There are tons of blog posts I could pull from this book, but for now I'll just say that I've been inspired. I've always loved the beach and even dreamed of having a small beach cottage someday for me and my family. Lindbergh apparently took some time (about 4 weeks, I think), leaving behind her five kids and husband, to escape to a little house off the coast of Florida to think and write. That is every writer's dream, I'm sure. Even back in the fifties she recognized the need for women (the book is primarily addressed to women) to take some time regularly to be alone, to center themselves, to be still. I think we all need this--time to process all of the junk life throws our way. I have a friend who seems to have a fear of any unscheduled time as if she is afraid of being alone with herself. I think people like this who call themselves "people persons" need quiet time more so than people like me who thrive on solitude. People like me will find solitude come hell or high water, but people like my friend have to make themselves find it. We all need to recognize our need to disengage from our daily routine and just be still and quiet. Jesus withdrew to pray and encouraged His disciples to "come apart and rest awhile" (Mark 6:31). Psalm 46 tells us to "be still and know" God.

Well, that's about as random as I'm going to get right now. And on second thought, my title is kind of presumptuous--as if I ever stood on the edge of perfect and polished! I can dream though.

1 comment:

Coralie said...

It is always such a pleasant surprise to see your blog posts pop up in my reader.

I'm slowly learning as a stay at home mother that being around my children all day isn't alone time. I'm learning to love our schedule that gives me a few evenings each week to be alone with my thoughts and the Lord (too often in that order) in the quiet of a sleeping home.