Friday, March 20, 2009

Intelligence Does not Equal Wisdom

You know, sometimes smart people are really stupid. Of course, I say this as one who doesn't think she's particularly smart. I know someone, someone my husband and I used to work with and with whom we used to spend a significant amount of time, someone who went through four years of college with a perfect 4.0 and who was in the Who's Who of American Colleges and Universities and who displayed his Who's Who book prominently so anyone who walked into his classroom could see it. In other words this person was and is, academically speaking, quite intelligent. And, on top of that, everyone around him knew that he knew he was quite intelligent. He was obviously proud of his intellect. People who are, are usually obvious about it. Perhaps it represents a deep-seated need for approval. I understand that. We all want approval. Yet for this person of whom I speak, I think the problem wasn't just a need for approval. He was ultimately very insecure which is why I think he constantly needed to let people know just how much he knew. Yet, in the long run, in the ways that really matter, he was far from intelligent. His college transcripts may have shown a studious, intelligent person, yet his actions have shown a proud, puffed up sycophant who's high IQ did nothing for his character.

Do I sound bitter? Perhaps, but this person's actions have caused a great deal of stress especially for my husband and others in our church, but also for our family. I'm working on my bitterness. Really, I am. In the meantime I've reached some conclusions. First of all (and I never thought I would say this), my mother was right. People with a lot of book sense do not have a lot of common sense. Nor do they have a lot of wisdom. Intelligence does not equal wisdom. Yet, intelligence does not have to equal foolishness either. I do not believe the two are mutually exclusive though I'm sure by now it sounds as if I do. I am not an anti-intellectual. In fact, I love to learn new things. I want to broaden my knowledge and intellect sot that I might deepen my wisdom and improve my character. Do you know how hard it is to find a humble, down to earth intellectual who is not always flinging his intelligence up in your face? Harder than one might think. Yet, I have found a few. My dad is one. He is, in fact, one of the smartest people I know, yet he is rather self-deprecating at times and in no way in a hurry to let you know how smart he is. He will admit that he's made some poor decisions in his life (who hasn't), but he's learned from them and that is where the wisdom part comes in. The fellow I mentioned at the beginning of this post has yet to learn anything from the fiasco he created in our church a few years ago. In fact, those who support him have only fed his ego and confirmed in his mind that he's right. How desperately I want to avoid being the kind of person who is so secure in her own "rightness" that she is not willing to listen to truth or reason. Lord, keep me far from foolish people who willing blind themselves and others to the truth.

Another person I know who exhibits true wisdom is a Bible teacher in our home church. I've known him for almost ten years and the more I listen to him teach the more I realize the depth of his wisdom, a lot of which has likely been forged through time. He is a man of few words which I've come to realize is in itself many times a sign of wisdom. Of course there are others, women too, though I've only talked about men here. Ultimately my point is that I don't want to be the kind of person who is ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. I want to be ever learning, but humble enough to realize my limits; to not just acquire knowledge but wisdom, too. Many times, perhaps most times, wisdom is not found in academic prowess or high IQ's. To whom much is give much is required. To those who are blessed to have knowledge come easily comes great responsibility. And, that sneaky little pet sin that haunts us all--pride--requires constant thwarting and squelching if only we can recognize it in ourselves.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

This is kinda coming out of no where... but I saw your comment here
http://www.conversiondiary.com/2007/10/why-im-catholic.html
And was so excited to see your questions! I was raised Catholic but was enlightened to the lies of the Catholic church a few years back. I am now a Bible reading Jesus loving Christian! ANd I am hoping you are as well... I am off to explore more of your blog... but I have to ask, did you get your questions answered about Catholicis? Are you saved?

Ailurophile said...

I totally agree. Intelligence in no way translates into wisdom..for so many people! Nice blog btw. Love the template. Hope you resume blogging.