Sunday, August 23, 2015

Sunday at 105 Juniper Trail

Honestly, I didn't want to get up and go to church today. I was so very tired. It is my own fault. I stayed up going through old homeschool stuff and reading old blog posts. It reinvigorated my desire to keep up with a blog, but it made me sad, too. My kids are no longer those little children putting on Christmas performances for the family or drawing pictures of Shem, Ham, and Japheth and their babies, "Bob," "Fred," and "Oop." I miss those days. They slipped by quickly and silently while I wasn't looking. I was warned when my children were little to treasure that time. I did for the most part. I certainly tried to be conscious of the brevity of their childhoods, but there were many, many times I wasn't because I was caught up in the busyness of daily life, or the stresses that inevitably come with children, family, life.

Becca said she didn't remember the Christmas performance they put on for Uncle Randy and Poppa. It was probably the first or second Christmas we were in this house. She didn't even remember that Uncle Randy had come for Christmas. Apparently, I video taped it. I'll have to see if I can find that video. Maybe it will jog our memories. I wonder how much happiness we forget.

We shouldn't live in the past. I don't think we should forget it either. It is the same concept behind studying history. We remember where we came from so that we can better understand where we are now and where we are going. I want to remember as much as possible about my past in case I forget everything someday. There are some things I'd like to forget of course. I guess we all have a few of those kinds of things in our past. Sometimes I wish I could remember every day of my life in detail like Marilu Henner supposedly can. It's called hyperthymesia. But then again, that may not be a good thing. Maybe it is better to forget some things even some good things.

My day in a nutshell:
*did not want to get out of bed, but we needed to go to church
*had difficulty staying awake in church
*wanted to talk to Andrea but kept getting interrupted by others; figured that was God's way of keeping me from gossiping
*ate lunch at Zaxby's in Midland with Buddy and Bethany (Becca spent the night with Rebekah Palmer)
*got home around 2:30 and immediately laid down and took a nap until about 4:30
*everyone fended for themselves for supper; I had dried cinnamon rolls with icing that made up for their dryness
*helped Becca with some SAT prep
*Beth made Rainbow Loom animals (her new obsession)
*Read the assignments for tomorrow's classes
*edited Becca's blog
*wrote a new blog post
*decided I should recap my day at the end of every blog post (or in my journal)
*realized that this recapping of my day, while of interest to me may be boring for anyone else reading this

1 comment:

Poppa said...

Well, life does go by fast and I don't think we are supposed to remember all of it. We'd go nuts especially remembering the negative things we may have experienced. Kids grow up and while doing so we are normally caught up with work, everyday things, etc, and may miss out on many of the things our kids experience BUT some of us are blessed with a second chance, so to speak. Grandchildren. I can't put into words what it has meant to me to be able to watch all four of my grandchildren grow and to be part of their lives. Not only a blessing but an undeserved reward.