Friday, September 4, 2015

And Almost a Week Later...

My husband's fiftieth birthday was last Sunday. We've been married almost 23 years. So much has happened in the world in that amount of time. And I hardly paid attention unless it directly affected me such as gas prices skyrocketing or bacon prices going up because of some pig disease, I think. Now egg prices are supposed to be higher though I can't remember why.

Actually though, I do give cursory attention to the news especially during the school year when I usually turn on the Today show in the morning. But when summer comes, I rarely watch the morning news. But it's 2015 so there's Google! I have current events at my fingertips if I need or want them. And there's always the old fashioned way of getting news--the newspaper. We live too far out to subscribe though, but I occasionally remember to pick one up at Cooper's if for no other reason than to line the guinea pig's cage.

Monday is Labor Day so that means no school! We aren't doing anything in particular on this holiday weekend except selling a sofa and chair. It's a nice leather sofa and chair, but Buddy found it uncomfortable. We wanted a sectional and found the perfect one at a consignment store. We bought it rather impulsively for us, but it was perfect except for the fact that it makes Buddy break out in red, itchy patches. We're stuck with it though so we'll have to figure something out. Currently our solution is to drape a sheet over it where Buddy sits. Not aesthetically pleasing but serviceable. To help pay for this almost perfect sofa, we decided to sell our leather sofa with its matching chair and ottoman. Bec and Beth aren't happy about that because the leather sofa is currently in our sewing and crafting room and they love to lounge on it in there as if it's there own private little den.

I asked Buddy how it felt to be fifty. He said not much different than 49, but suddenly he seems to be getting more mail from organizations like AARP. It hasn't damaged him emotionally, however. He takes it all in stride. I don't feel that we properly celebrated this momentous birthday of his, but I know him, and he didn't want a big shindig. We got him the shoes he wanted and took him to the restaurant of his choice, The Black Cow. Later that day I made him peach and cream cheese crepes which were quite good after I made a second batch of batter. The first batch was just...not right.

Refugees are pouring into Hungary from Syria. Hungary's government doesn't want them. I can't imagine wanting to escape my country so badly that I would risk my life to get out only to be turned away by another country. I hope I never have to imagine it. I hope my children and grandchildren and great grandchildren never have to imagine it. But it's very real for these Syrian refugees, and it's very sad. We are very blessed here in the United States even with all of its problems.

No comments: